[sword-devel] KJV2006 Project

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 14 21:41:27 MST 2006

Question on the "gold" standard for "jots and tittles". I am looking for
a hard copy to be the final say on spelling, capitalization, punctuation
and the like.

The module we have is titled as a 1769 version.

In cleaning up the module, we will be comparing the text against one or
more etexts. If differences are found the "gold" standard will be consulted.

I can get my hand on a facsimile version of the 1611 translation from
Hendrickson Publishers. It uses something that looks like an "f" for "s"
and "I" for "J". These typographic representations are not present in
recent publications of the KJV. See here for an image of Genesis 1, page
1:
http://www.thekjvstore.com/product_lookinside.php?pgid=2&sid=a14e250cce6bb2ba62f85fe45c0122b9

I'm looking for a 1769 facsimile or a faithful representation of that
edition, but I have not found one yet.

It appears that much of what is on the internet for the KJV has been
derived from the text originally from Bible Foundations. (I have their
original zip)

I also have a hard copy of the KJV published somewhere around 2000 by
Zondervan.

Comparing Genesis 1.2 (BF = Bible Foundation; HC = my recent hard copy;
FAC = 1611 facsimile edition)
BF     And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness [was] upon
the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the
waters.
HC    And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness *was* upon
the face of the deep. And the spirit of God moved upon the face of the
waters.
FAC  And the earth was without forme, and voyd, and darkness *was* vpon
the face of the deepe; and the Spirit of God mooved vpon the face of the
waters.
(*was* means that "was" is italicized in the hard copy)

Notice the differences in punctuation, spelling and capitalization. I
don't consider the variations in the word [was] to be any thing but a
difference in typological convention as are my *asterisks*.

By the way, I'm not at all interested in raising a KJV-only debate.