[sword-devel] BibleCS Installer: SWORD_PATH

L.Allan-pbio paraclete at bibleinverse.org
Fri Feb 10 17:31:17 MST 2006

>> Interesting .... I suppose I ought to install JSword and get more
>> familiar with it.
> You can get it at http://www.crosswire.org/bibledesktop/download.html ,
> use the Windows installer if on Windows.

Thanks for the link. It installed nicely and works well.  I learned some
things.

> JSword may have started as a reverse engineering of the C++ code, but
> today the internal architecture and the actual code have little or no
> resemblance to the C++.

Thanks for the info ... I've become less and less enthusiastic about C++
(never was that much of a fan) and have become enamored of Walter Bright's D
language. I've wondered about trying to implement a subset of the sword-api
with D.

> Compatibility really should be measured at the module level.
> We have not implemented General Books and one type of dictionary (which
> only applies to a single dictionary).
> We also have not implemented the ability to write modules.

By "module level" compatability, do you mean being able to read the modules?

>> I'm especially curious about what kind of search performance you
>> experience. That is VERY CPU intensive.

> Yes, but searches are fast on my machine! Searching for 'a' takes less
> than 10 seconds. This brings back nearly every verse. It turns out that
> the search time is actually less than a second or two, but the overhead we
> impose on the answer set makes it bigger.

I'll refrain from comparing with LcdBible.

> You can get a feel for how it easy it is to work with by looking at:
> http://crosswire.org/jsword/java2html/org/crosswire/jsword/examples/APIExamples.java.html

I'm more or less surprised you were able to use the LGPL for JSword.

>> My understanding is that Lucerne is Java based, wth CLucerne based on it.
>> Does JSword use Lucerne?
> We use lucene exclusively for searching and indexing. We still use the
> modules index files for lookup.
> We have extended lucene to be able to search for hits in one verse to be
> in proximity to hits in another verse.
> For example "Find all verses containing Adam within 5 verses of those
> containing Eve"
> And we have extended lucene to allow searching on a subset of verses, E.g.
> [matt-rev]
> All the power of lucene is available so you can do fuzzy searches, among
> other things.
> And we index everything, a, in, the, .... because so many theologically
> rich phrases includes these common words, "in Christ", "Christ in you"

My experience is limited to using BibleCS CLucerne indexing ... can you
search for parts of the word ... is there an option such that "generation"
matches generations and regeneration .... or does that revert back to brute
force searching .... or you can't do that. How does it handle "stems" ?

> The only gotcha is that it takes lots of horsepower and a bit of
> cooperation with the OS and virus scanners to index a bible.
> On my Windows machine, with "indexing" turned on and a virus scanner on,
> it took over 20 minutes to index a file. Turn both of them off and it
> takes less than 5 minutes. On Linux on the same hardware it takes about 3
> minutes.

> Well enough about JSword. If you would like to hear more, join
> jsword-devel at crosswire.org. Feel free to lurk there. Though not much is
> happening right now.

Sorry for the digression ... although one last question .... what gui
library does BibleStudy use?