[sword-devel] BibleCS Installer: SWORD_PATH

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 10 12:53:44 MST 2006

My thoughts:
I think we would want the owners of BibleCS to buy off on these changes
to the location of mods.d.
Most users don't care to learn about SWORD_PATH. They should not have
to. They should not be told about it.
Those that do care probably are developers, and they can handle it
changing out from under them.
I agree that If SWORD_PATH is sane, then it should be left alone and if
not, then it should be either deleted or fixed.

I did some testing of various configurations and it seems that if
SWORD_PATH points to a real directory that does not have a mods.d then
the InstallMgr will break. (It might not be a problem with the final
production build. I am using a beta version.)

I'm working under the assumption that if it is bad then BibleCS
installer is not going to go hunting and is just going to set it to its
install directory.

SWORD_PATH is genuinely useful to applications that don't have direct
access to the Window's registry.
(That is currently JSword has no idea where mods.d is unless it is
C:\Program Files\CrossWire\The SWORD Project\mods.d)

A difficulty in using SWORD_PATH is that an installer that is a starter
pack has to be written in such a way to install its modules into the
location pointed to by SWORD_PATH or what SWORD_PATH should become.
(This should be true of the LCDBible install, if mods.d does exist under
"The SWORD Project" and SWORD_PATH is not set.)