[sword-devel] BibleCS Installer

L.Allan-pbio paraclete at bibleinverse.org
Thu Feb 9 09:45:27 MST 2006

Some comments:
* Very good progress.

* Nice implementation of the sword url link with WriteIniStr used to create
the link ....

* HKLM SOFTWARE\Classes\sword ???
   Seems to be set by running sword.exe .... whole series of registry
entries. Perhaps these should be removed also?

* The InstallManger.exe and related files are deleted during UNSEC0000, so
aren't available for -un.post UNSEC0001
   I would suggest not removing the InstallManager .... handle it as a
different/separate uninstall .... it should be left available for other
"family apps"
   (I would suggest renaming SEC000# and UNSEC000# to more meaningful names)

* Still using SWORD_HOME rather than SWORD_PATH?

* I have some concerns about over-writing an existing SWORD_PATH environment
variable setting. That seems appropriate for a "Components" page decision
(this installer doesn't use any "Components" page)

* Uninstaller may not want to remove SWORD_PATH environment variable. Leave
it around for other "sword-api family apps" to make use of.

* May not want to get rid of mods.d and leave it for other "family apps"
that are making use of SWORD_PATH. I think the InstallManager.exe is the
appropriate way to get rid of mods.d files (to keep them sync'ed ok with
contents of subdirectory modules?)

* Baffled by what is happening in the SwordUtil::AllDone function to read
Field 4 and Field 5 of ioSpecial.ini. I only see 3 fields in ioSpecial.ini

   I think a simpler solution ... would let the readme.txt and the
InstallManager show up at the same time ...
     It might be useful to be able to see the readme.txt instructions for
using InstallManager at the same time that InstallManager appears.
  Would use ExecWait for InstallManager, then Exec for sword.exe
  (in other words, standard handling of readme.txt, and special function for
InstallManager and then sword.exe)

* Uninstaller leaves registry entry App Paths\Sword.exe (maybe ok?)

* Overall, the installer is using three registry "subhives" (and sword.exe
uses another one). Perhaps it could settle on one, and have all the
applicable information there? I/we/you could check with the nsis forum to
see what is "best practice".

HKLM SOFTWARE\CrossWire\The SWORD Project
HKLM SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Sword.exe
HKLM SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\The SWORD Project
HKLM SOFTWARE\Classes\sword (used by sword.exe for icon and perhaps file
association?)

WriteRegDWord HKLM "${PRODUCT_REGKEY}\Components" Main 1
WriteRegStr   HKLM "${PRODUCT_INST_KEY}"   Path            $INSTDIR
WriteRegStr   HKLM "${PRODUCT_UNINST_KEY}" DisplayName
"${PRODUCT_TITLE}"

* I'd like to do some more testing of Win2000 and WinXp in "limited user"
privilege mode, or did we decide not to be concerned about that? I suspect
that use of HKLM by the installer (and sword.exe itself) may make it
difficult or impossible for a "limited user" to be able to install and run.