[sword-devel] BibleCS Installer

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 6 15:33:20 MST 2006

L.Allan-pbio wrote:
> From SwordSetup.nis
>
>   ;--------------------------------
>   ; Establish and remember the Start MenuGroup info
>   !define MUI_STARTMENUPAGE_DEFAULT_FOLDER     "$[PRODUCT_TITLE}"
>   ; Remember where it is
>   !define MUI_STARTMENUPAGE_REGISTRY_ROOT      HKLM
>   !define MUI_STARTMENUPAGE_REGISTRY_KEY       "${PRODUCT_REGKEY}"
>   !define MUI_STARTMENUPAGE_REGISTRY_VALUENAME StartMenuGroup
>
>   ;--------------------------------
> This may be a no-no .... HKLM should apparently not be used with
> installations because it assumes the end-user doing the installation
> has administrator privileges.
I thought about that, but according to the NSIS site that HKCU is not
available under Win9x and WinME.
See:
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Add_uninstall_information_to_Add/Remove_Programs

If so and we go the HKCU route then we need to add in OS version detection.
If Win9x then HKLM automatically.
Else, it should be a choice in the install to install for the current
user or for all users.

But if several users on the same machine install to the current user,
how would that work? I mean where would the program be installed? Where
would the modules be located?

In any "home" installation at least one person has administrator privs.
In a company setting, the user may not have admin privs and may even be
shut out from doing any installs even HKCU or changing/adding
environment variables.

I'm not sure that it is worth trying to install to HKCU. I think perhaps
we need to go for the lowest common denominator ;)