[sword-devel] BibleCS Installer

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 4 08:17:28 MST 2006

Troy,
    Lynn and I have been working on this. Our approach has been a little
different. My goal is to get a basic installer for just BibleCS and his
has been to create a family of installers for all derivative Sword API
Windows applications. These are not at odds with each other and I think
we are nearly there with at least a first pass.

To finish the first pass, we need a couple of things:
1) All the compile artifacts of the build (e.g. dlls, exes, ...) as I
don't have a C++ compile environment. Preferably, these should be what
will be used by the installer. Also, if you could give me the paths for
these using the checkout scheme below that would be great. Currently, I
am stubbing this with 1.5.6.
2) What are the other files that must be included? And for dlls, what
versions?
(For 1 and 2, if you could create an directory layout of what the final
install should be like that might be easier. Essentially, this would be
a zip of what the installation directory would contain right after
installation when no modules are installed.)
3) What is the minimum set of files to provide the Sword API for other
applications? (I want to create a SwordAPI installer that will install
the absolute minimum that a derivative application must have present.
This will then be called by those applications installers, if the
SwordAPI has not been installed.) Does it need icudt34.dll? Does it need
the install manager? How about all the subdirectories in biblecs/.../stage/?
4) In an earlier note, Lynn gave a path to a patch to allow for the
modules to be located elsewhere. Is this something that can be included
in 1.5.8 or should it wait for a later release.
5) NSIS needs (un)installer icons that work. I am terrible at artwork,
so I am not the one to do it. NSIS requires that the size of the
installer and uninstaller icons be the same.

Can you give me check in privs for the installer directory? Then I can
work in there. I think that the following addition to the svn
authorization file, would work:
[biblecs:/trunk/installer]
dmsmith=rw

Right now this is where the installer is at:
1) Offers the user a choice as to where to install the program and what
Start Menu Group to create.
    It defaults to the same default locations that 1.5.6 uses.
2) The installation
    a) Installs the files
    b) creates the registry entries
       i) The uninstaller is listed in Add/Remove Programs
       ii) Keys and values are created so that other programs can
discover where Sword is installed.
    c) creates a desktop shortcut
        Does not offer the user a choice about this one.
        Should also probably install to the Quick Start task bar. And it
should be a choice, too.
    d) creates shortcuts in the Start Menu for
        i) the Sword program
        ii) the Sword Install Manager
        iii) the website
        iv) the uninstaller
       It probably should also create a shortcut to help.
    e) It adds/changes SWORD_HOME environment variable to point to the
installation directory.
    The installer assumes that prior versions have been deleted. This
may be bad.
    Are there any files that *must* be removed for the install to the
same directory to be successful?
    For example, is it bad to have icudtXX.dll and icudtYY.dll in the
same directory?
3) It creates an uninstaller that
    a) runs InstallManager -uninstall
       currently, this is broken
    b) Removes all files that the installer installed. Leaving all files
that the program or user created.
    c) Removes all shortcuts (that have not been moved)
    c) Removes empty folders
    d) Removes registry entries.
    The uninstaller does not determine whether there are any dependent,
derivative applications and act appropriately.
    These will have a registry key located under HKLM\software\CrossWire.
    It should be the responsibility of the last removed derivative
application to remove the SwordAPI.

Is there anything missing from the above? Must haves? Should haves? Nice
to have?

The last thing needed before the installer(s) is(are) released is robust
testing. I know there are somethings that don't work yet and some of the
paths are wrong. And there may be some things, I won't find because I
always test the same small set of paths! So after I get the bugs out
that I know, testing help would be appreciated.

In His Service,
    DM