[sword-devel] BibleCS Installer

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 3 06:41:13 MST 2006

A copy of the installer that I am working on can be found at
www.crosswire.org/bibledesktop/BibleCsStarterKitSetup
The file of interest is SwordSetup.nsi

It is very incomplete and at this time is focused upon an installation
of just BibleCS.

See below for my thoughts:

L.Allan-pbio wrote:
> I would appreciate guidance on which specific registry entries to use
> for the nsis installer for The SWORD Project BibleCS sword.exe (windows).
>
> This is an issue as far as re-installs, and how other sword-api based
> "family apps" can detect previous installations, and where other
> sword-api based apps are installed.
>
> As far as I can tell, sword.exe 1.5.6 uses InstallShield, and has the
> approach of writing these registry entries:
> HKLM "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\sword.exe"
> "(Default)"
>
> which contains the complete path to sword.exe, typically:
> C:\Program Files\CrossWire\The SWORD Project\sword.exe
>
> and the registry entry
> HKLM "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\sword.exe"
> "Path"
>
> which contains the installation path to sword.exe, typically:
> C:\Program Files\CrossWire\The SWORD Project
>
> I would advocate continuing this practice, so that the NSIS installer
> has fewer registry entries to detect.

Agreed.
This appears to the the practice in the WinXP registry.

> **********************
>
> The Eclipse nsis generator appears to use a rather different approach.
> From looking at the Sep 18, 2005 setup.nsi, it would use this registry
> entry (which may be more current as far as preferred practice):
>
> HKLM SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\The SWORD
> Project for Windows "Uninstall String"
It appears to me in pondering the registry that
HKLM\S\M\W\CV\Uninstall
is the standard location to write uninstaller information.
The current version of "The SWORD Project for Windows" uses a folder
named "The Sword Project" for

> **********************
>
> While looking at the Sep 18, 2005 setup.nsi, I realized some
> capabilities of the Modern User Interface that I had not been aware
> of. Here is YAPI (yet another prototype installer). Feedback appreciated.
> http://lcdbible.sf.net/misc/LcdBibleStarterKitSetup_beta.exe
The link was bad. I downloaded the zip in the same directory and found
the exe in it.
I like it as a prototype. It has some rough edges.
For example, when prompting the user for a path a button for a file
browser should be used.
Some of the "instructions" are best understood by a software developer
not a first time user.
I took the defaults for the install, but the program would not run.
The uninstall damaged the BibleCS 1.5.6 installation, but left registry
entries and the program group intact.