[sword-devel] BibleCS Installer

L.Allan-pbio paraclete at bibleinverse.org
Thu Feb 2 23:25:30 MST 2006

I would appreciate guidance on which specific registry entries to use for
the nsis installer for The SWORD Project BibleCS sword.exe (windows).

This is an issue as far as re-installs, and how other sword-api based
"family apps" can detect previous installations, and where other sword-api
based apps are installed.

As far as I can tell, sword.exe 1.5.6 uses InstallShield, and has the
approach of writing these registry entries:
HKLM "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\sword.exe"
"(Default)"

which contains the complete path to sword.exe, typically:
C:\Program Files\CrossWire\The SWORD Project\sword.exe

and the registry entry
HKLM "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\sword.exe" "Path"

which contains the installation path to sword.exe, typically:
C:\Program Files\CrossWire\The SWORD Project

I would advocate continuing this practice, so that the NSIS installer has
fewer registry entries to detect.

**********************

The Eclipse nsis generator appears to use a rather different approach. From
looking at the Sep 18, 2005 setup.nsi, it would use this registry entry
(which may be more current as far as preferred practice):

HKLM SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\The SWORD Project
for Windows "Uninstall String"

While looking at the Sep 18, 2005 setup.nsi, I realized some capabilities of
the Modern User Interface that I had not been aware of. Here is YAPI (yet
another prototype installer). Feedback appreciated.
http://lcdbible.sf.net/misc/LcdBibleStarterKitSetup_beta.exe

There is also an animated slideshow of LcdBible at:
http://www.viewletcentral.com/vc/viewlet.html?id=15983728