[sword-devel] r5 and ESV files dated Aug 10, 2006: Phrase search anomalies?

L.Allan-pbio paraclete at bibleinverse.org
Sat Aug 19 09:01:44 MST 2006

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> Yes, this is intended.  SWORD full text search (non-clucene) will
> search based on whatever options you have turned on.  If you repeat
> the search with notes off you shouldn't get those hits.  BibleCS
> doesn't offer options in the search dialog like it probably should
> (e.g., [x] include note text ), instead, it bases the search on the
> options set for the viewed module.

BibleCS sword.exe rc5 and ESV with files dated Aug 10, 2006
Looking at Psalm 23

Other related ESV anomolies related to having cross-references turned
on?

There is a cross reference in Psalm 23:2 between "green" and
"pastures"

With "Phrase" searching and cross-references off, then there is a
match for "green pastures".
With "Phrase" searching and cross-references on, then there is not
match for "green pastures".

Cross-references off: 1 match for "paths of righteousness"
0 matches for "paths of righteousness for"  (which spans a poetic line
break)

CR and FootNotes off: 1 match for "Surely goodness and mercy" in Ps
23:6
CR off: 1 match for "He restores my soul" in Ps 23:3

Footnotes On: 0 matches for "Surely goodness and mercy"
CR off: 0 matches for "He restores my soul"

Similar anomolies with KJV:
KJV with Strong's numbering turned on:
0 matches for "green pastures"

KJV with lemma On:
0 matches for "lie down in green"

Perhaps this is intended, but seems other than expected. Seems like
phrase searching needs to be done with lemma, morphology, foot-notes
and cross-references removed.

Odd: I closed the Search window, clicked on the "Cross Reference"
button, and the TextViewer jumped to 1st Thess 4, even though Ps 23 is
still showing in the "Navigation" widgets.