[sword-devel] Samoan translation

Daniel Glassey danglassey at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 04:34:46 MST 2005

On 11/05/05, Michael Riversong <mriversong at earthlink.net> wrote:
> As a sort of temporary solution, maybe this would help.  I've collected
> a few Bible translations onto what is now a standardized CD.  Haven't
> found good software yet, but this will at least give something.

Hi Michael,
I'm sure the GnomeSword, BibleTime (and BibleDesktop) would love to hear where
their software is lacking so it can be improved ;)

> If you
> can copy the CD, then it would at least be a set of basic texts.  These
> CDs are currently being distributed to other Christian schools (i'm a
> teacher at a small Christian school here in Cheyenne) and students.
> Everything on them is public domain or GPL.
>
> I've noticed that in Linux, it is easy to bring up HTML, PDF, and text
> files on screen and search individual files, meaning in this case
> individual books of the Bible.  Only in PDF format can you get the
> entire Bible displayed for searches, and it's slow.
>
> Not familiar with the Yoper distro -- wondering what word processing and
> desktop software is included.  I've done searches on individual books
> using standard Linux tools such as Abi Word, KWord, KDE desktop, and
> sometimes Gnome desktop.
>
> Let me know what your address is.  I could send out a CD within the next
> few days from here.

Talofa Tupuola,

If you have good bandwidth then you can download the sword CD image (~400MB)
from ftp://ftp.crosswire.org/pub/sword/iso/sword20050214beta.iso.gz
It includes many public domain translations and some others with special
permission, but no Samoan Bible yet.
You will need to uncompress it then burn it to a CD.

Otherwise, is anyone there else on the list from Australia/New Zealand/Pacific
area that could burn one and post it?

> On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 04:17, Tupuola From Pacificflair wrote:
> > Talofa (greetings) members,
> >
> > My name is Tupuola from Pacificflair.  I wrote some time ago and had just
realised that it bounced as I receive numerous emails.

Arg, apologies for this - we reject mails from people not subscribed to the
devlist to reduce spam.

> > Below is the contents of my last email:
> > My name is Tupuola and the reason why I write (and signed up) is because
our company is rolling out thousands of ex-leased pc's throughout the country
(New Zealand) to low income families targeting Pacific families.  Our pc's are
linux based (Yoper distro) operating systems only.  With each pc, we want to
have the Bible or a Bible software installed as we need to use this medium to
spread the word.  I don't attend a particular church or have a spiritual life
but I know that the answers are in that black book that my father read
everyday.

> > We are shipping thousands of pc's to the Pacific nations very soon with
'voip' pre-installed for less expensive communications etc.

> > The purpose is to 'lift the bar' for Pacific Nations people and to remind
people that there are answers to why we are created.  We are getting tired of
being labled 'low decile' etc as well.  With a Bible software installed and our
ongoing translations, this will draw people close to God and the pc for better
development.

> > We are based at Samoa Capital radio station (in Wellington NZ) and
developing glossary of terms for Pacific nations starting with the Samoa
language and then moving onto other Pacific languages.

Great, this sounds like wonderful work :)

> > Questions:
> > Is there a linux based Bible software available? prefebly free?

As DM Smith said there are 3 sword based options available on linux which are
free(cost) and free(dom).

> > Can we assist with translations of the Bible? if so, how?

Yes! You sound like the ideal kind of people to contact the publishers of the
Samoan Bible, and then other Pacific language bibles. Contact copyright at
crosswire dot org and we can discuss what you want to say.

> > Sorry for the long email folks.
> >
> > Can someone please contact me asap to progress this.

Sorry again for the delay.

> > Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Daniel