[sword-devel] Re: Christian Debian distro talk / Report

Nigel Chapman nigel at chapman.id.au
Thu Mar 31 08:15:12 MST 2005

Hi all,

We're obviously going to need a logo for this ICHTHUX thing (which I
humbly suggest is the best title of those thus far mooted, in regard to
fishiness, for instant recognition amongst Christians, and
web-uniqueness, for domain name availability and search engine results).

Here are my suggestions for what the logo needs to achieve:

1. It has to focus on the 'fish'; that's what signals to Christians the
nature of the project.

2. But it has to avoid the 'standard', horizontal, 2 dimensional, rather
static, Christian fish of bumper-sticker fame -- rather it needs to
communicate something living and vibrant.

3. In spite of the nice "HTH" in the centre of the word, it's more
important to reinforce the fish meme than to try and capitalize on the
possible 'cross' associations.  They look rigidly geometric rather than
organic, in any case, which is bad.

I've attached a photo of a sketch of one possible idea. I'm not going to
explain it at this point, since if logos need to be explained, then
they've already failed.

Comments are welcome. If it gains mindshare I'll turn it into vector
art, colorize it, make GIFs and JPEGs, etc.

I'm very excited about this project; my own work in the area (web based
Bible search tools) would not have been possible without the Sword
library and its Diatheke interface. I wasn't awake at 4am Sydney time
for the start of our talk, but I expect to be catching up with more of
you next time around.

Blessings,
Nigel Chapman

Nigel Chapman | Email,MSN: nigel at chapman.id.au
p a n t a + s u n e r g e i + e i s + a g a t h o n