[sword-devel] Re: Introducing BibleMemorizer

Jeremy Erickson jerickson314 at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 24 21:09:59 MST 2005

How would the following be the beginnings of the files, to ensure compliance?
I always thought this would just be equivalent to a pure BSD license (as
explained in my other message) but I guess not...  It is a lot longer,
unfortunately.

Would a BSD license with a short clarification that the GPL applies when the
Sword API is used work, as I mentioned in the other message?  Or is there
another way to shorten it?

/*
 * Copyright (C) 2005 by Jeremy Erickson
 *
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
 * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
 * (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
 *
 * along with this program; if not, write to the
 * Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
 * 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307, USA.
 */

/*
 *  Any part of this software may be relicensed under the BSD-style license
 *  that follows, except where otherwise prohibited.  For example, use of
 *  the Sword library is not permitted under any non-GPL license.
 */

/*
 * Copyright (c) 2005 Jeremy Erickson
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * are met:
 *
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
 * OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.
 * IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
 * INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT
 * NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
 * DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
 * THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
 * (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF
 * THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
 */

(End of header)

> We do get into the spirit of the GPL here.  Is the spirit of the GPL "you
can
> use our work if you give us and everyone else freedom" or "you can use our
> work if you agree to spread the virus to others"?  The second interpretation
> doesn't seem very Christian, given that Free Software is not a concept from
> the Bible.  I'm not saying that it contradicts the Bible, only that it comes
> from outside the Bible.  The first interpretation seems more like the idea I
> always got out of Sword's goals.

I wasn't real clear in this paragraph and it looks a lot more condescending
than I was intending.  The GPL does seem to only spread the "virus"/freedom
when the covered code is still used directly, which I knew but must not have
been thinking about.  Let's just say, "This paragraph is deleted in its
entirety".  Sorry.

BTW, my mailer is KMail, accessed through Kontact.  I use my ISP for
e-mailing. (Regarding the always top-level problem)

-Jeremy Erickson