[sword-devel] Re: proposed changes to VerseKey

Daniel Glassey dglassey at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 13:43:46 MST 2005

On 20/06/05, Joachim Ansorg <nospam+sword-devel at joachim-ansorg.de> wrote:
> > I've got a couple more proposals.
> >
> > I'd like to add NewBook() as a replacement for Book(). It will return
> > the total book number within the Bible (i.e. Book()+39 for New
> > Testament books). Er, maybe that should be Book()+40 to allow for a
> > New Testament preface.
>
> I don't like the name :)
> What about v11n issues with this change?

If you mean what is the change for here are my thoughts?

Troy's idea is to make a TreeVerseKey to allow genbooks to be used as
bibles by the frontend. This class will provide VerseKey functionality
but won't be fixed to the KJV canon. It will read the verses that the
module provides from the genbooks TreeKey.

I'm experimenting at doing that. When it comes to alternate
versifications explicitly using the testament gets in the way. Things
like the Apocrypha don't fit easily into that structure (my
understanding is that they are intertestamental so would go between
Old and New, but this isn't the time for a flamewar on what fits where
- I'm just trying to make it easier for things to go where people
understand they should go).

Anyway, the plan is for old indexes to still work, but if you use a
TreeVerseKey then the book number will just be the absolute number in
the order that the genbook provides.

I'm wanting to hide as many implementation details of VerseKey as
possible so that the TreeVerseKey will just be able to implement them
in it's own way and just work.

Allowing genbooks to be bibles/commentaries will allow richer
structure to be in prefaces and surrounding text. When the time comes
for it we will need to decide how frontends will be able to display
that.

I'll explain more of the technical stuff once I've done a bit of
experimentation.

Regards,
Daniel