[sword-devel] Re: proposed changes to VerseKey

Lynn Allan l_d_allan at adelphia.net
Mon Jun 20 13:13:23 MST 2005

Daniel,

Glad to see you are doing some rethinking / refactoring of VerseKey.
Thanks. The getChaptersInBook and getVersesInChapter will be a welcome
replacement for
setPosition(POS_MAXVERSE) and
setPosition(POS_MAXCHAPTER)

While you have "Vulcan mind-meld" with the VerseKey class, perhaps you
could consider some repartitioning /decoupling of the class itself. My
understanding as I look at the code, is that VerseKey references
localemgr, which references swmgr, which references swmodule, and then
it "spreads out" further and further with "octopus tentacles" so that
there is an enormous amount of class coupling that seems less than
what was intended for VerseKey.

My impression is that the purpose of VerseKey itself is rather modest
... to provide KJV versification so an application can get the
information that there are 50 chapters in Genesis, and that Gen 1:31
is the last verse in Gen 1, for example.  Also, it can "work very
closely with" rawtext, rawverse, zverse, and ztext to "unpack" the
offsets and lengths of the actual verses in the compressed and
uncompressed files.

My limited experience with building some of the test examples in the
test subdirectory is that if you have VerseKey.h, your code will end
up needing to get such seemingly unrelated classes as osis to be able
to link. Is that amount of class coupling necessary? Perhaps now is a
reasonable time to consider some class decoupling?

My impression is that there could be a class from which the current
VerseKey "is-a" derived, which is concerned strictly with
versification?  Or VerseKey "has-a" member variable which is a class
which accomplishes this functionality?

Perhaps a goal to shoot for ... VerseKey is decoupled enough such that
with only rawtext, rawverse, zverse, and ztext, it can be
compiled/linked and still accomplish a significant amount of diatheke
functionality ... something that might be called "MiniDiatheke"?