[sword-devel] Sword -> fortune

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 5 17:37:48 MST 2005

Mark Trompell wrote:

> Hello, is there a way to use sword modules with fortune?
> Regards Mark

I assume you mean the old BSD fortune cookie program. I checked my
Fedora installation and fortune is not part of that distribution. In
looking for it, I ran across speculation that it was removed from
RedHat's distributions because of offensive quotes. I don't know if any
of the Christian distributions of Linux include fortune.

For fortune you will need to create a file with the quotes that you
want. Each quote should be separated from the next by a % on a line to
itself. The quote can be anything you want, but the typical format is
lines of up to 80 characters. The quote is usually followed by a citation.

Once the file is created it is indexed with strfile and the files are
placed in the directory where fortune expects the files. In looking at
the fortune code it may be best to have several files. From a glance, it
appears that performance is inversely proportional to the file size.

As to using sword modules, I think that there is a command line program
that given a reference and a module, will get the content. If not it
would be pretty easy to write one either using the C++ Sword API or the
Java JSword API. I can help with the java program, if that is what you want.

And it would be fairly easy to have a Bible be dumped verse at a time
into a fortune file, but it would probably be better to be selective and
have some references be more than a single verse. As my Greek prof says,
"Context is everything."

Random combinations can lead to something inappropriate like:
Matthew 27:5 ... [Judas] hung himself...
Luke 3:11 ... do likewise
John 13:27 ... “What you do, do quickly.”

Hope this helps,
DM