[sword-devel] (OT) Audio editor for sermons (CleanSpeech) invites alpha testers

Lynn Allan l_d_allan at adelphia.net
Mon Feb 14 13:34:36 MST 2005

Sounds good ...

There is an official sourceforge project with the name "Audacious"
that could serve the cvs/svn purpose for the console app, and maybe
the GUI.

Here is a link to the original Word .doc proposal for SermonEditor.
There have been a number of changes since the Jan, 2005 write-up, but
it will give you an idea.
http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/audacious/SermonEditor.doc

The actual gui is based on the Audacity main HEAD, but is a "snapshot"
from mid-January, 2005. The whole thing involves a lot of libraries,
and totals over 1600 .c, .cpp, and .h files (including libsndfile,
portaudio, wxWidgets, libresample, lame, etc.) The differences for
SermonEditor can be found in about 26 files (6 new and 20 modified).
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/source
http://www.bibleinverse.org/Misc/CleanSpeech_src_diff_0.4.zip
or
http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/audacious/CleanSpeech_src_diff_0.4.zip

Perhaps the best thing would be for you to get the Audacity 1.3.x.beta
svn HEAD and be able to build it. Then we can discuss further. The
0.4_src_diff isn't really a "diff", but the complete files that are
different. I think it could be unzipped into the Audacity .svn
"checkout", but I'm kind of a newbie at cvs and svn (have used Ms
VisualSourceSafe mostly)

Here is something of a "roadmap" to work on:
* Q/A
* Make sure that current prototype can be rebuilt and run
cross-platform
* "Skin" (profile) to hide or reveal functionality so that
SermonEditor shares the exact same code base as Audacity rather than
current quick/dirty hack approach of commenting out.
* "Effect" to convert original stereo/multitrack to mono
* Convert relatively high sample rates (16000 to 48000) to default
11025 (=5.5kHz frequency)
* Convert relatively high kbps (20-320+) to standard 16kbps for .mp3
end result
* Auto-detect relatively quiet section to use as source for
"NoiseRemovalProfile"
* Much smarter ClickRemoval algorithm that doesn't require previous
NoiseRemoval
* CleanChain.exe is incomplete console app
* "mezzo" library is just audio effects without wxWidget gui
components
* isolate "TrackArtist" widget for showing .wav file
* FileOpenMultiple dialog to select many sermons to which the
"CleanChain" processing would be done

Most or all of the code for the above exists, but the integration is
still in progress. I'm not really writing much new code, just working
out how to modify a gui that is oriented for audio engineers very
fussily mixing a multi-track original into a demo CD. Audacity is now
mostly a step-by-step-by-step-by-step attended operation ... want to
facilitate "Push One Button" unattended processing.