[sword-devel] Re: Strong's numbers in Septuagint/LXX module?

Ted Walther djw at dnull.com
Sun Dec 4 01:48:49 MST 2005

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 07:49:34AM +0000, Jonathon Blake wrote:
>You want to be able to look at the KJV, and see what both the Greek and
>Hebrew Strongs Number is, along with both the Greek word, and the
>Hebrew word.
>
>Is that correct?
>
>*** So that it would effectively take: * LXX with strong's numbers

Yes, plus new numbers assigned for any words that don't occur in the New
Testament.

>* KJV with strong's numbers

Yes, have that already.

>* Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia with strong's numbers and merge them
>into one interlinear module.

Maybe.  Having a BHS with Strong's numbers based on the LXX is what is
called for here.  Once I have that, I can do the rest on the fly.

I don't want an interlinear; I want to type in "strongs foo" at the
command prompt, and then see a dump of all verses containing the word
foo.  Then with a command line option, it would drill down one level,
also showing all verses that contained the strong's number, with the
word in English highlighted.

See, often a word will have more than one strongs number mapped onto it.
See the word "man" for instance.  But a single strongs number will also
often be translated by more than one word.  My program will help me see
each Hebrew and Greek word as a gestalt, by tying all those related
verses together, and highlighting their point of commonality.

I really should show a sample of the type of output I am after.

I can do what I want now, limited to Hebrew for the Old Testament, but
having the LXX added to the mix would be sugar and cream on top please,
thank you very much.

>If that is really what you are asking for, then it most of it is grunt
>work.

Yes indeed, which is why I asked about the crosswire source code for
their original effort to mark up the New Testament with Strong's
numbers.

>> looking to code up the equivalent of a concrete mounted machine-gun.
>
>That makes me wonder how you'll describe the module I'm working on.  [
>an ack-ack?!?!.]

Not sure.  What are you working on?

Ted

--
          It's not true unless it makes you laugh,
     but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

Eukleia: Ted Walther
Address: 5690 Pioneer Ave, Burnaby, BC  V5H2X6 (Canada)
Contact: 604-430-4973

      Love is a sharp sword.  Hold it by the right end.