[sword-devel] Re: Strong's numbers in Septuagint/LXX module?

Ted Walther djw at dnull.com
Sat Dec 3 19:00:37 MST 2005

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 06:19:17PM -0500, RLRANDALLX at aol.com wrote:
>   In a message dated 12/2/2005 11:05:31 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
>   sword-devel-request at crosswire.org writes:
>
>     Yes, keying the greek words to the KJV words, and using Strong's
>     >numbers to do the keying.
>     >
>     >For instance, it is useful to know that the LXX uses paradiso where the
>     >KJV translates the Hebrew as "garden" or "paradise".
>
>     No interest?  Is the source available for the Java client so I could set
>     up such an effort?
>
>     Ted
>
>   With BibleCS you can create a "Parallel" bible with KJV, WLC, and LXX.
>   Switch on Strong's numbers and you get the Hebrew numbers from the KJV and
>   Greek numbers from LXX.  WLC does not have embedded Hebrew numbers but
>   gives the straight Hebrew.  Anyway, If you right-click on a number you can
>   do a dictionary look-up and get the Greek or Hebrew meaning at will.  Have
>   you tried this approach?  Once "search" gets improved, you could do some
>   fancy things there as well.

I don't know Greek or Hebrew.  How can I tell which Greek or Hebrew word
corresponds to the English word in the KJV with this method?

I'm looking to make automated tools for massive word-studies.  If
looking up a KJV word in Strongs is like taking a shot with a rifle, I'm
looking to code up the equivalent of a concrete mounted machine-gun.
I'm going to be travelling soon, and I want the laptop with me.  It will
be my substitute for Strong's Concordance, but I have something in mind
much better than Strong's.  As a long time Free Software developer, I
will be releasing it under the GPL, of course.  I will also dual license
it under the BSD license for people who are into that kind of thing.

Ted

--
          It's not true unless it makes you laugh,
     but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

Eukleia: Ted Walther
Address: 5690 Pioneer Ave, Burnaby, BC  V5H2X6 (Canada)
Contact: 604-430-4973

      Love is a sharp sword.  Hold it by the right end.