[sword-devel] Fw: [gnu.org #232437] Can Microsoft MFC be used in gpl project?

Lynn Allan l_d_allan at adelphia.net
Thu Apr 21 05:49:27 MST 2005

Here is a reply from licensing at fsf.org regarding use of MFC in gpl
projects.

----- Original Message -----
I can't interpret Microsoft's license for Microsoft.  The language of
their license clearly is intended as an attack on the GPL; but it is
an
inept attack -- the GPL doesn't place requirements on MFC in this
situation.

>From the GPL's perspective, it's permitted.

Another option, if you can afford to wait, is to use Trolltech's Qt
when
version 4 is released.  Version 4 will be licensed under the GPL for
all
platforms.  This will make your code more portable.

> [l_d_allan at adelphia.net - Tue Apr 19 22:28:39 2005]:
>
> GNU Licensing:
>
> We are considering using Microsoft's Foundation Classes (MFC) with
The
> SWORD Project which is licensed as GPL. From several of the GPL
FAQ's,
> this would seem allowed, but I wanted to check for sure that it is
ok
> to use MFC and still be GPL.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WindowsRuntimeAndGPL
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs
>
> Below are some clauses from Microsoft:
>
>  The Visual Studio .NET 2003 license names MFC
> > as a "Redistributable", and then says,
> >
> > "If you use Redistributables, than in addition to your compliance
with the
> > applicable distribution requirements described for the
Redistributables, the
> > following also applies.   Your license rights to the
Redistributables are
> > conditioned upon your not (i) creating derivative works of the
> > Redistributables in any manner that would cause the
Redistributables in whole
> > or in part to become subject to the terms of an Excluded License;
or (ii)
> > distributing the Redistributables (or any derivative works
thereof) in any
> > manner that would cause the Redistributables to become subject to
any of the
> > terms of an Excluded License.  An "Excluded License" is any
license that
> > requires as a condition of use, modification, and/or distribution
of the
> > software subject to the the Excluded License, that such software
or other
> > software combined and/or distributed with such software be (x)
disclosed or
> > distributed in source code form; (y) licensed for the purpose of
making
> > derivative works; or (z) redistributable at no charge."
> >
> > (source: http://www.microsoft.com/legal/useterms/documents/Visual
> Studio .NET

Professional_2003_English_be8aa149-b0fd-494d-a902-07fdb2007b90.pdf )

--
-Dave "Novalis" Turner
GPL Compliance Engineer