[sword-devel] New Accented Greek NT with Morph

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 21 05:25:21 MST 2005

I did a few more experiments but w/in Java and the results were very
different. Everything depended upon which font was chosen. By and large,
it looked better using the decomposed form. If a font was chosen which
did not support Greek Unicode, I got boxes for accents. In the case of
decomposed, the words were readable but for composed, every accented
letter was a box. With a good Unicode font (I tried Java's Dialog and
Serif, Arial Unicode MS, Code2000, Lucida Sans Unicode, Gentium, Gentium
Alt) the results were fairly consistent. Decomposed had better support
overall (i.e. no boxes). Some fonts showed boxing for Composed (Dialog,
Lucida Sans Unicode). However, when a font supported both, the composed
looked better, with the accents being positioned better.
But overall, Dialog looked the best for decomposed, but some accents on
capital letters were not readable.

The other issues dealt with the nature of fonts: scaling, anti-aliasing,
font size, ascii support.... Some fonts looked better for the Greek but
looked horrible for ascii. Some looked better anti-aliased, some looked
worse. Some font sizes scaled badly. And so forth. But these showed no
differences between the composed and decomposed.

Summary/Thoughts:
Many fonts support unaccented Greek letters.
And few fonts supported accents in either. More fonts supported
decomposed than composed.
Decomposed resulted in the text being readable when the fonts did not
support accents. But composed was entirely unreadable.
Fonts that looked good with composed may not look good for ascii (e.g.
margin notes)
With ICU we can go from composed to decomposed or decomposed to
composed, though the trip is not lossless (Some decompositions can't be
recomposed. E.g. 1/4 will not compose to ¼, but ¼ will decompose to 1/4)
Composed makes sense for storage. I don't know how well the module
compresses when decomposed, but it is large if it is not.
Decomposed makes sense for display in Java. Currently we don't use ICU4J
and it would nearly triple the size of JSword so having a composed
module that we decompose using ICU is a big proposition.

My Conclusion: There is no best answer. My guess is that each delivery
platform will need to use ICU to produce the results it needs.