[sword-devel] New Modules (front-end developers: please read)

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sat Jun 12 13:52:26 MST 2004

Chris,
	Thanks for all the hard work.

	I think we need more discussion before changing modus oparandi on verse
rendering for all clients of the API.

	A few bylaws we've adhered to which are valuable to the users of the
engine:

	o	A client of the engine should only have to render Bible verse numbers
in 1 way (possibly 2-- for an exception like alternate versification-- I
think done with footnotes thusfar); we shouldn't expect them to have
checks in their code for a variety of methods.

	o	We shouldn't expect a client to know the base markup (even OSIS).  We
do the hard work to hand them something they've requested on init of the
lib (previously by subclassing SWMgr and applying appropriate filters,
and now with your newer SWMarkupMgr, which more nicely isolates them
from the plethora of filter combinations).

	I think these are valuable things which we might be violating with your
latest changes.  Is there a way to provide filtering in OSIS* filters to
retain these benefits?

	Up until now, I've had the personal opinion that we should normalize
OSIS modules to our internal OSIS methods of markup, so filters could
all expect constructs in the document to be encoded consistently.  We
have a filter OSISOSIS (which is a silly name) which is intended to
filter 'our OSIS' markup back to the 'original OSIS' markup of the
document.  It is used primarily to remove non-conformant tags like
<resp> in our KJV module, or any other thing we might add to help our
rendering process, but doesn't either conform to the OSIS standard or
recommended guidelines, like restore x-preverse titles to their original
positions.

	Again, thanks for the work.  It's nice to have someone finally update
our OSIS support.  Just want to maintain integrity of these features, if
we can.

	-Troy.