[sword-devel] Using SWORD from OpenOffice.org - just a thought

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Jun 2 11:53:02 MST 2004

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Andy Piper wrote:

> Chris Little said:
> > I guess that is to say that, in addition to OOo
> > integration being a cool idea, MS Office
> > integration/smarttags support would be pretty cool too.
> > (And I think smarttags would even be fairly easy to
> > implement.)
>
> Well, conceptually I can see how I might implement support for
> Office - build a simple COM object which returned the verse,
> and call that from VBA. It shouldn't be too difficult. However,
> that isn't a cross-platform solution which is what I'm looking
> for...

There is the ActiveDiatheke project, which does basically what you state:
it's a COM object that returns a verse.  It probably needs a little
updating, though, since I had been hoping it would just die and disappear,
as a project.

> It could be that there are limitations in terms of what
> is possible in OOo today. I've read a little about this UNO
> thing but haven't gotten my head around it yet.

>From what I understand, there are some stricter limitations on OOo that MS
Office, currently. And that this is part of what has lead to the OSIS
plugin for Word 2003 having been written for Word 2003 rather than OOo.
But I have absolutely no solid details to support this.

--Chris