[sword-devel] proposal for changes in locale system

Martin Gruner sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:37:02 +0100

Hey all,

now that 1.5.7 is released, I'd like to propose a change to the locale system.

It seems that in BibleTime we can only use the locales which are encoded in
the local 8bit encoding of the user. Selecting others won't work, as well as
the windows specific locales (cp*).

There are different possible approaches to this situation:

1. Change nothing. Rremains broken. ;)
2. Add UTF-8 locales for each language (Encoding= line in config file). Apps
can then select which locale file (local or UTF-8) to use. No overhead in
apps, maintenance overhead in Sword.
3. Convert everything to UTF-8. Apps then need to convert to local, if
necessary. Small overhead in apps.
4. Add Encoding= line to all locale files and have apps convert strings to
UTF-8 themselves, if necessary. Larger overhead in apps.

I'd vote for number 3, but not sure if that is a possibility for Windows based
programs. Any other suggestions/corrections? I'd like to volunteer for this
kind of task (conversion etc.), in case I should be able to do it. Looking
forward to hear what you think.

Martin