[sword-devel] Incomplete verses in BHS

Dan Griswold sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:12:38 -0500

Hi there,

I have discovered a problem in the book of Isaiah in the sword module
for the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (BHS). I noticed it first with
chapter 6. There, several verses are incomplete. Verse 2 ends after
the second radical ("letter") of the third word. Only part of the
first word of verse 4 is present. Verse 5 ends partway through the
ninth word. There are similar problems with verses 9 and 13.

Incomplete verses are relatively easy to spot, even for those who
can't read Hebrew: ends of verses are marked by a colon (:). When a
verse does not end with a colon in the module, then this is a strong
indicator that the verse is probably incomplete. That is confirmed by
a comparison with the printed text.

Glancing through the nearby chapters in Isaiah, I find problems in
other chapters. I noticed it, by quickly checking, in chapters 1, 5,
and 7. It's probably throughout the whole text, but proving that is
more effort than it's worth, unless I find out otherwise.

I believe that it is a problem with the module rather than with the
program used to display the text, because I get the same results
whether I use GnomeSword (2) or BibleTime.

I do not know if this problem originates with the packaging of this
module or further "upstream." So, if this bug is best reported
elsewhere, I'd be happy to know that.

Peace,

Dan

\_| Dan Griswold                |