[sword-devel] 4 questions

Hugo van der Kooij sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 00:01:41 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik wrote:

> 2) Translation (UI)
> We would like to translate the frontends we are using. For Bibletime, it
> seems trivial, but how does this work for other UI's (we are currently
> only interested in Bibletime, GnomeSWORD and "The SWORD Project for
> Windows, since we don't have other hardware to test on)? Do they support
> gettext to? (If no localisationcode exists, will you be intrested if we
> write it?)

GnomeSword uses gettext. I am working on a Dutch translation of GnomeSword
which is by now past halfway. But gnomesword development takes place on
the gnomesword development mailinglist (and IRC in some part) and may
escape attention here alltogether.

> 3) "GPL-blockers" in packages stopping commersial distrubution
> Is there anything in the frontends or in the libary that blocks
> commersial distribution? And what? (The copyright for every module is in
> the configfile, we know, so we are only asking for the frontends
> mentioned above)

As far as I know you can ship GPL programs on a CD with copyrighted and
payed modules as long it is clear that these programs are just there as a
courtesy to the reader.

But I am not a lawyer and I think you need to consult one on this subject.

Hugo.

    hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.