[sword-devel] Re: HELP WANTED -- OPPORTUNITY TO SERVE (vb compatibility)

Lynn Allan sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:36:01 -0700

I concur with the idea of using VB. Concerning different versions, a key
decision is whether to support Win95 and/or Win98-FE. Freeware authors do
themselves a huge favor by assuming the recipient has Win98-SE or *later*
(not *better*, on the off chance there are any Linux aficianados [sp?] in
this group).

We could ask the powers that be at Wycliffe: Would a solution that worked
"pretty well" be acceptable for your people using Office-97 or later, using
Win98 second edition or later? Would you rather have that in Dec, 2003, or
something that worked well for the other 4.72% in late 2004 or early 2005?

<alert -- mounting pulpit>
I think we can very quickly do something that solves 80% of the problem.
With 20% of the effort that a semi-ideal solution would take, they can
realize 80% of the benefits.  I would speculate they have had a significant
number of motivated volunteers fall by the way-side due to frustration
getting EasyEnglish set up. That's bad! We can help! By next week! Not next
year!
<all clear -- dismounting pulpit>

FWIW, my 2 alt-155,
Lynn