[sword-devel] Trying to make my first module

Tim Meneely sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:02:32 -0500

Greetings,

I've tried this several times (on and off!) over several months, and have yet
to produce a module which works.  I've got the "Module Making" guide printed
in front of me, I've tried to make things as simple as possible, and I'm
failing.

I'm trying to convert OSIS into a text module.  After I install and start
Sword (Windows, although all my utilities are run in RH9) I see a tab for my
trial version, but there's no text in it.

For today's try I used the Sample OSIS Document from page 4 of the "Getting
Started with OSIS" guide (pasted in below) and a simple conf file (also
pasted in below).  On my Red Hat box I ran xml2gbs -f0 osisdemo.xml osisdemo
I copied my osisdemo.conf file to the same mods.d folder used by pre-created
modules and the produce of xml2gbs (osisdemo.bdt, dat, and idx) to
modules\texts\rawtext\osisdemo.

Sword shows me a blank for 1 John 1.

Help, anyone?

Thanks,
Tim
My osisdemo.conf file:
[OSISDemo]
DataPath=./modules/texts/rawtext/osisdemo/
ModDrv=RawText
SourceType=OSIS
Version=1.0
History_1.0=first attempt
Category=Sample texts
Lang=en
Encoding=UTF-8
Description=TKM OSIS Attempt
About=This is an attempt to import something, anything, into Sword
LCSH=Bible. English.
DistributionLicense=Public Domain
TextSource=TKMeneely

My osisdemo.xml file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<osis xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
	xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation
	="http://www.bibletechnologies.net/osisCore.1.1.1.xsd">
	<osisText osisIDWork="CEV" osisRefWork="Bible" lang="en">
		<header>
			<work osisWork="CEV">
				<title>Contemporary English Version</title>
        <identifier type="ISBN">1585160555</identifier>
        <rights type="copyright">Copyright 1995, 2003
        American Bible Society</rights>
        <refSystem>Bible</refSystem>
        <scope osisRef="John.1.1"/>
			</work>
			<work osisWork="Bible">
				<refSystem>Bible</refSystem>
			</work>
		</header>
			<title>John</title>
			<chapter osisID="John.1">
				<title>Chapter 1</title>
				<v osisID="John.1.1">In the beginning was the
					one who is called the Word. The Word was with
					God and was truly God.</v>
			</chapter>
	</osisText>
</osis>