[sword-devel] Explaine ThML markup

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:32:26 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, David Burry wrote:

> Of course if a given font has glyphs for all characters in all blocks
> then you'd only need one font for everything in that case (I think that
> was what was originally meant), but you're not restricted to that
> behavior.

Except that this isn't possible.  The greatest number of codepoints that
any font using current formats can support is 65k.  I'm pretty sure we're
over that already, between points assign in the BMP & SMP.

It would be pretty nice if Sword could better handle switching fonts based
on codepoint, but this seems logically to be best handled at render time
by the layout engine in use (so it's probably best left to front-ends).
The WebstersDict module actually isn't supported by any current font.
Code2000 catches almost everything, but there are some musical symbols
from the SMP that I have only seen in the Code2001 font.

--Chris