[sword-devel] UI for Windows Question...

Brook Humphrey sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:06:51 -0800

On Wednesday 12 March 2003 08:10 pm, Jason Turner wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Thanks for your response. I've hashed through a lot of the
> advantages/disadvantages on IRC with some of the other developers. I think
> that a .NET version would be the fastest to develop, and Diatheke *is* a
> viable solution. However, I've decided to start work on a wxWindows version
> based on other's input.
>
> There is something that I think could be very valuable to the project, that
> you could do with your copy of C# studio. I've learned that the cl.exe
> (C#'s compiler) can compile C++ or C# code to native or the .NET runtime.
> I've played with it some, and it seems to work, but I don't have the
> studio. Could you try to open the API in the studio and try to compile a
> .DLL to the CLR?
>
> If you are interested, here is a page of useful links:
>
> http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/upgrade/c++.aspx
>
> Again, I'm planning to start a wxWindows version, but still think that a
> .NET compiled DLL could be helpful. Anyone else have any thoughts?
>
> -Jason Turner

Yes wxwindows is an incredible cross platform set of libs. I have pondered
doing this myself but sadly I lack the progaming ability to really get into
it. I might add I don't know how feasible this would be but a plugin
architecture allow for the use of wxwindows/python based bindings could be
very helpfull. In this way it would be easy to have third party plugins using
wxpython for different tasks. For me this would be great since I am at least
a little familiar with python. I imagine little things like a daily bible
verse or what not for these plugins. Not only this but wxwindows is a very
complete set of libs.

If you would like more info on it I can supply you with links.

--
                                      Brook Humphrey