[sword-devel] UI for Windows Question...

N. Trevor Brierly sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 00:02:18 -0500

Interesting you should post this.  I need to introduce myself as well, since
I'm also interested in working on a Windows interface.   I'll do that in a
separate post.

We really need a fully-featured Windows interface that we can then make
available to the increasing number of folks who would like a Windows
research tool that can handle OSIS documents.  The SWORD API already
implements most (all?) of OSIS, so it makes sense to start with the SWORD
Windows software.

My original plan had been to essentially take the Windows interface which
currently exists, which is in C++ and modify it into "full-featuredness",
whatever that ends up meaning.  However, I really don't know C++ at all,most
of my experience is in Java and Visual Basic/ASP.  So I'm contemplating
whether I should just buckle down and learn C++ and work with what is there
already.  The concern here is the delay as I crawl up the learning curve.
Or I could build something new in Java. Java has its own problems with
installation and VM conflicts, etc.  Or build something new in Visual Basic.
VB is well-suited for rapid development of interfaces.  Many controls
already exist that can be used in VB, and controls could also be written.
If in VB, then I would probably do it in VB6 instead of fooling with this
new-fangled .Net stuff.  Your intel that .Net doesn't talk to native C++
libraries further confirms me in that.

My feeling is that re-implementing the SWORD API or a part thereof might not
be a good idea.  It's already written in something which can be used by a
wide variety of dev. tools (except of course .Net.... :-( ).  My grim
suggestion is that one or both of us probably ought to just buckle down and
work with the Windows software what we already have in C++, or start fresh
with Java or VB or something else like that.

I haven't taken much of a look at Diatheke, but I don't think it is going to
be sophisticated enough to be behind a "fully featured" Windows interface.
Someone who knows more about Diatheke *please* correct me if I'm wrong.  One
question worth asking is: is Diatheke sophisticated enough that the Linux
interface could do everything it does through Diatheke?  I suspect the
answer to that question will tell us alot about whether the Windows
interface could do the equivalent through Diatheke.

grace and peace,
ntb

"...the chief purpose of life, for any one of us, is to increase according
to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be
moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis:
...We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory,
we thank you for the greatness of your splendour."           J.R.R. Tolkien