[sword-devel] Interested in? Graphics

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 20:29:48 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, David Cary wrote:

> I've been told that PDF is merely a inferior dialect of PostScript.
>          http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/~anton/why-not-pdf.html
> I've been told that PostScript cannot be copyrighted -- no language can be
> copyrighted. (IANAL).

PDF is an open standard without any legal encumberances that would
prohibit using it for development (so the parent was essentially
incorrect).

That said, the only person who would propose that PostScript over PDF is
probably someone who has never used PostScript and doesn't understand the
differences (as in the case of the author of that site).

And that said, we're not using either PDF or PS in Sword anyway.  They
don't serve us any purpose.

--Chris