[sword-devel] free Windows compiler for SWORD

Pham, Khoi sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:44:59 -0500

Thank you for this email.
I finally got the Windows version compiled and linked with BCB6 after
downloading both Sword and icu-sword from CVS.
If possible, please update your instruction in the website as you wrote
in this email. Also, please make standalone executable versions of
Osis2mod and thml2mod so that people who are not good in C++ can convert
module to OSIS and take advantahe of its features.

Thanks and God bless.

Paul
-----Original Message-----
From: Troy A. Griffitts [mailto:scribe@crosswire.org]
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2003 5:19 PM
To: sword-devel@crosswire.org
Subject: [sword-devel] free Windows compiler for SWORD

Hello all you Windows would-be developers, we have really good news.

Borland has been in the habbit of releasing different levels of their
tools at different price tiers, and sometimes they have a 'Personal' or
'Open' edition which is free for personal use or opensource development.

  Now, I'd personally recommend buying their tools.  I use them for all
of my commercial development and they are second to none-- truely built
with the developer in mind.

We have just made sure that BibleCS (Windows version of SWORD) builds
with Borland's Personal edition of their compiler.  Thanks to David
Trotz, Jr. and Daniel Glassey for the work in the past on the Version 6
Project files.  I have personally confirmed they now work correctly with

the compiler from a clean checkout of sword.

So, we're seeking Windows developers; no excuses now!

Here are the steps to freely compile our free software freely :)

Download and install Borland's compiler at:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,6566,030,00.html?fsrParam=2-3-/main/1,
6566,030,00.html&fileID=2879

You'll have to get a Nokia developer username/password for this first
step

Download and Install WinCVS:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/cvsgui/WinCvs13b13.zip?download

Follow the WinCVS instructions to checkout the source code:

http://www.crosswire.org/sword/develop/biblecs/cvs.jsp

FOR WINDOWS DEVELOPMENT, YOU'LL NEED TO CHECKOUT 2 CVS MODULES: 'sword'
and 'icu-sword' (the instructions just say to checkout 'sword')  Both
modules should be checked out to the same location, so you should end up

with both sword and icu-sword directories in that folder.

Download the ICU DLL

ftp://ftp.crosswire.org/pub/sword/utils/win32/swicu20.dll

and place it in the CVS tree at:

sword/apps/windoze/CBuilder6/BibleCS/stage

Then change to the folder:

sword/apps/windoze/CBuilder6/BibleCS/

and double-click on:

swordprj.bpg

 From the Borland IDE menu, choose Projects|Build All Projects

And that's it!!!

One recommendation: create a directory, \etc  at the root of the drive
where you checked out the sword source and place a file sword.conf
containing something like:

[Install]
DataPath=d:/Program Files/CrossWire/The SWORD Project/

This will let the sword.exe running from the Borland IDE find your SWORD

modules (Bibles, etc.)

Have fun!

	-Troy.