[sword-devel] Sword, PHP, and PostNuke

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 18:18:34 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Curtis Farnham wrote:

> A. Obtaining PHP code that can read *.bks, *.chs, and
> *.vss files,
>
> or
>
> B. understanding the specifics of these files so I can
> develop this portion of the code myself.  Again, I
> don't understand C and C++ (or whatever language Sword
> is written in).  I do have an intermediate knowledge
> of PHP, and I am familiar with basic coding practices
> and techiques.

Sword is a library.  The only guarantee that you will be able to read
Sword modules is by using Sword.

As a side note, Sword uses only .vss (not .bks or .chs) files and is
limited to KJV versification.  But more importantly, if you try to read
.vss files, your code will be quickly made obsolete because we're already
moving away from this particular format to one that uses compression.
Besides that, it prevents you being able to read any lexicon/dictionary
modules (for which there are currently about 3 formats) or general books
(1 format at the moment, but another on the way some day).

This is why I cringe every time I hear someone asking for docs on the
Sword module format.

--Chris