[sword-devel] Web Interface

Hugo van der Kooij sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:19:36 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Chris Little wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 YTang0648@aol.com wrote:
>
> > (21) Chinese. There are 56.6 M people online in mainland China, according to
> > a report released by the ...
> >
> > I believe the 2.26M people in Singapore online, 5.7 M Malaysians online, and
> > 1.9 M Americans whoc access the Internet in Chinese are all bi-lingual or
> > tri-lingual users.
>
> More or less correct, but it's not exactly clear whether they're counting,
> for example, the 1/3 of Malaysians who can read Chinese in both their
> Chinese and Bahasa Malaysia statistics (which they should, and it looks
> like they may).  And even so, it's not clear what they consider to be a
> "native speaker" in terms of proficiency level.

I think we all know there are lies, big lies and statistics.

You can pretty much take some data and make it jump backwards through a
window if you want to.

The bottomline is that we need to take in account the various language
systems that do exist but in such a way that one is not forced to use
systm that one does not need.

So one should not be forced to use javascript to read a simple text
version. Things like javascript should be options one could do without if
you accept the practical limits it will provide you with.

Hugo.

    hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.