[sword-devel] updated module-making instructions

Brook Humphrey sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 08:55:36 -0800

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 08:53 am, Chris Little wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Brook Humphrey wrote:
> > Thanks Chris. I spent last weekend looking up both thml and osis and was
> > wondering if I did it in osis how it would be. I see you covered that
> > though. One thing, will sword ever support osis directly or will it
> > always be converted to gbf.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by gbf.  If you mean General Bible Format (as
> in the markup language), we don't require changing to GBF.  We will
> support OSIS markup internally soon.
>
> If you mean general book format, we don't necessarily require using the
> general book module type.  We'll support OSIS markup for Bibles,
> commentaries, dictionaries, etc.
>
> If you mean to ask whether we're going to support OSIS documents without
> any import/processing, the answer is essentially no.  There will always be
> some kind of processing and indexing at least.  We might integrate an
> osis2[gbs|vs|ld] type of utility in Sword and the frontends at some point,
> so that any user could easily import an OSIS book, but that just moves
> the conversion processing from the developer to the user.  We might also
> embed such a tool in a way that the original OSIS document is used as the
> data file and is unmodified, so that it can be changed in an editor and
> re-indexed by Sword very easily.  I'm not planning to do either of these
> immediately and Troy hasn't suggested that he was going to either, but
> they would make nice additions.  To the user, they won't make a lot of
> difference other than forcing them to endure a bit of indexing time
> whenever they install new OSIS modules.
>
> --Chris
Hm yes sorry I really didn't mean gbf per say. I have some that would make
good commentaries and stuff like that but yes I also have some that would
need gbf.

All I really wanted to know is if sword would handle osis natively some day
and you answered this above.

--
                                      Brook Humphrey