[sword-devel] Fwd: AW: Sword Project

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 03 Feb 2003 23:36:42 -0700

At 11:44 AM 1/30/2003 -0500, Patrick Narkinsky wrote:
>That's probably debatable. In the Betamax case, the supremes ruled that
>fair use did include "time shifting". More recently, a judge ruled based
>on that case that MP3 players were legal -- that the user had the right to
>transfer his music from one medium to another. This seems to me to be a
>very similar issue, and I would certainly consider that I had the right to
>transform my content from one Bible program to another (even if I might
>NOT have the right, based on owning an NRSV, to use another program's NRSV
>module. As we saw with the whole online Bible mess, sometimes Bible
>modules are not what they are described as.)
>
>Patrick

In the Betamax case "time shifting" was something the user did, not
something a provider did. Also, in the R.I.A.A. v. Diamond Multimedia case
"space shifting" was something the user did and not something a provider
did. In other words, the user could either time shift or space shift his
legally acquired copy to another time or space, for his own personal use.
Neither case says a third party can provide the time or space shifted
copies. So, what Daniel said, "we have no rights at all to distribute these
texts," is probably correct. Even if a user has the right to use the copies
we probably don't have the right to provide them. Also, there are other
laws that make things even more complicated. Many digital works now have
access controls and copy controls. The DMCA makes it illegal to circumvent
an access control to make a copy. I don't think there is any provision in
the DMCA for time or space shifting. Hopefully this law will not last, but
who wants the trouble now.

See: http://www.eff.org/cafe/drmgame/copyright-faq.html#sharing
and: http://www.eff.org/cafe/drmgame/copyright-faq.html#DMCA .

Jerry