[sword-devel] Bereans and Sword and GPL vs PD

Leon Brooks sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:42:23 +0800

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:24, Rev. Michael Paul Johnson wrote:
>> A commercial project is quite at liberty to include GPLed code,
>> providing that any derivatives are also GPLed.

> Yes, but then it is not "commercial." [...] I mean that it is
> restricted from modification, distribution, and sale except by
> the copyright holder

Er... no?

*Anyone* can modify, distribute or sell a GPLed program, whether they
own it or not. The only real restrictions are that (1) if they modify a
program, anyone who can use the modified program must be offered at
least as much access to the modified source as they do to the runnable
program; and (2) these restrictions cannot be removed, even from
copies.

Cheers; Leon