[sword-devel] Bereans and Sword and GPL vs PD

Rev. Michael Paul Johnson sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:24:17 +1000

--=====================_11547864==.ALT

At 10:37 15-12-03, Leon Brooks wrote:
>On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 07:07, Rev. Michael Paul Johnson wrote:
>> A commercial project can use PD code or LGPL code, but it
>> cannot use GPL code.
>
>False. Many of them do, the classic example being Microsoft's Services
>For Unix (SFU), which includes not just GPLed code but the GNU Compiler
>Collection (GCC).

I stand corrected. A commercial project may not be derived from or link to GPL code and still be a commercial project, but it may use separate (not linked) GPL components.

>A commercial project is quite at liberty to include GPLed code,
>providing that any derivatives are also GPLed.

Yes, but then it is not "commercial." It is GPL. You can sell GPL code commercially (like Red Hat and others do), but that isn't what I mean by "commercial." I mean that it is restricted from modification, distribution, and sale except by the copyright holder, in the manner of most commercial programs.

--=====================_11547864==.ALT

Michael Paul Johnson wrote:<br>
&gt; A commercial project can use PD code or LGPL code, but it<br>
&gt; cannot use GPL code.<br><br>
False. Many of them do, the classic example being Microsoft's Services
For Unix (SFU), which includes not just GPLed code but the GNU Compiler
I stand corrected. A commercial project may not be derived from or link
to GPL code and still be a commercial project, but it may use separate
(not linked) GPL components.<br><br>
is quite at liberty to include GPLed code, <br>
Yes, but then it is not &quot;commercial.&quot; It is GPL. You can sell
GPL code commercially (like Red Hat and others do), but that isn't what I
mean by &quot;commercial.&quot; I mean that it is restricted from
modification, distribution, and sale except by the copyright holder, in
the manner of most commercial programs.<br><br>