[sword-devel] New Windows SWORD GUI

Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:31:36 -0700

At 04:25 PM 12/9/2003, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> > * Does the author of some code has the right to use the same
> > (self-written) code in both a GPL and a commercial project?
>
>Yes and no. I suggest you dig for some answers on lists more knowledgeable
>on this subject as this is a rather complicated matter.

Your code, completely self written and in no way dependent on GPL code, is
your's to release in as many ways as you want. If you release it as GPL,
those that have it with that license can continue to use it under that
license and they can continue to distribute it under that license, but you
can also release the same code under different licenses before and after
you released it GPL. Note that you do not need a license to use your own
code, so you are not limited by the GPL that you licensed that code to
others under. You can continue to develop your code and release new
versions with or without GPL.

Jerry