[sword-devel] New Windows SWORD GUI

Hugo van der Kooij sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 00:25:45 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Simon Lagendijk wrote:

> >The GPL doesn't cover just distribution rights, it also covers usage.
> >USING Sword in an unauthorized manner, according to the license (by
> >linking to it, either at compile time or run time) would violate the
> >license.
>
> Some questions about this:
> * Is it possible to release parts of the code that are independant from
> GPL code, but are in a program that makes use of GPL code, under LGPL?
> The reason I ask is because I want to release some parts of the bible
> tool I'm working on as LGPL (mainly the code to read/search OSIS and
> ThML files, which is code that is totally independant from the Sword
> Engine).

Any part of a program that is GPL does require you to make all of the
program GPL.

> * Does the author of some code has the right to use the same
> (self-written) code in both a GPL and a commercial project?

Yes and no. I suggest you dig for some answers on lists more knowledgeable
on this subject as this is a rather complicated matter.

I know we have some people with law school degrees in our Dutch LUG who
might be in a better position to dig into this matter.

Hugo.

    hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.