[sword-devel] Apocryphal versification schema

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 03 Dec 2003 14:52:42 -0600

Lynn Allan wrote:

> Just a quick thought: could there be information in the mods.d .conf file
> that would control which versification was used?

Sure, if we wanted to set up multiple static versifications.  But I
think we should aim for something more flexible.

> I'm not that familiar with the Apocryphal books, but aren't all of them at
> the end of the OT? An extension for that special case might not be that
> difficult since canon.h has some separation of OT and NT offsets.

Book ordering varies.  Most of the Apocrypha come after the OT in most
canons, but those that place all apocryphal books after the OT are
canons that do not take the Apocrypha as canonical.  The longer Esther &
Daniel naturally come in the usual locations for these books (which, of
course, is not universal itself).  And books like the Esdrases can often
follow Ezra-Nehemiah.

> Just include more in the VerseKey::vm, otbks, and otcps. Use logic to "skip"
> if that translation didn't include the Apocryphal books. Wouldn't that cover
> well over 99% of the different Bibles "out there"? (We don't necessarily
> have to be all things to all people.)
>
> Just curious ... can TSP handle Jewish Bibles with combined 1st and 2nd's?
> Is that "their" problem?

Sword can't handle any alternate versifications.  But, I'm also unaware
of anyone who still combines 1st and 2nd books.  I'm pretty sure that
fell out of practice a couple millenia ago.  (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

--Chris