[sword-devel] Search thread saftey

Joachim Ansorg sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:31:15 +0200

Hi!

> 	First of all, SWORD is as thread safe as the client asks it to be.  For
> example:  You can create an SWMgr, ask it for a module, start a thread
> searching thru that module, then have another thread position that same
> module to, say, Jas 1:19.

In BibleTime we experienced starnge problems using the existing SWMgr object
for searches in a new thread.
If I remember right, there were problems with locales and VerseKey, because
AFAIK it uses global members which are not allowed in threads.
In BibleTime we wen't back to use no threads but the normal timer driven GUI
repaint stuff of Qt. Works better :)
And I think the search progress calculation didn't work in a threaded
environment.

Joachim
--
Joachim Ansorg