[sword-devel] Sword Atlas

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 05:29:39 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Don A. Elbourne Jr. wrote:

> I'm not sure what you had in mind, but I was thinking to start with
> something simple. Perhaps a good place to start would be with just a handful
> of maps, like those found in the back of many Bibles.

I've got just a couple ideas about this:

1) It would be very good if someone could do their own scanning of maps
from printed books with expired copyrights.  Maps that are to be found
online are frequently still copyrighted, have been altered (especially
with the URL of the hosting site), or even have the laughable claim of
copyright on the basis of scanning.  Better to avoid all of this if
possible.

2) On the other hand, if someone wants to get permission to use
copyrighted maps, that would be great too.  I know that Son Light
Publishers permits e-Sword to distribute their maps, so they might be give
us permission as well.  There seems to be another nice one here:
http://www.anova.org/sev/atlas/htm/ .

--Chris