[sword-devel] Interested in?

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 18:19:32 GMT

Hi Again,

I have no plans on leaving ;) I was trying to see if there was interest so I'd
know whether or not to get started.

I have a dual boot machine, so does anyone know of an open source/freeware
program that will save in svg format?

If the gecko ingine is used, you can also support zoom functions by adding hit
boxes to the graphic that brings up a more detailed version of whatever you
click on.

I have experiece with html, and am starting to learn python. If the maps are
displayed using html format, I can make them interactive, otherwise I can supply
the images for you to plug into a module.

> (JPEG is not genuinely a problem.  The infringement claims are bogus and
> JPEG is collecting prior art to discredit all patent claims--see
> http://www.jpeg.org/newsrel4.html .)
 Nice to hear

> You can search the archives for information on how to create a module with
> images, and I'll try to get a test module posted soon.
>
> HTML renderers are one possibility for getting image support in
> front-ends.  All of the front-ends besides BibleCS use HTML for rendering,
> so adding image support will be trivial for those.  Adding image support
> in BibleCS through RTF is now possible (and fairly easy) but it might not
> be worth the time spent on it if we're planning an almost immediate move
> to Gecko.
>
> > In addition, has anyone thought of including a VRML display module?

The reason for VRMl is several EXCELLENT open source 3D programs support the
VRML format. Personally, the way to implement this would be to include the
display module and have the 3D files as additional downloads. If this causes
bandwidth problems, just ask the people that want to make the files if they can
host them. ( I own 2 sites with 30GB of bandwidth a month, they are topping out
at between 2 -4 GB of traffic currently))

I understand the hesitation to include this because of the file sizes, but the
ability to include a temple walkthrough or a 3D view of the ark would attract
many people. I'm fine either way, I just thought I'd throw the suggestion out.

I tend to think in multimedia terms. For example, the gecko engine would allow
the inclusion of streaming media files in a module (now THAT's a file size hog :) )

People can be really creative. We may not see a use for such a feature, but
someone would probably come up with a brilliant idea- as a matter of fact, the
encyclopedia could be made MUCH more useful with such a feature, or several
people could work on a multimedia Atlas that could be accessed too.

Just throwing out ideas, so please don't panic ;) I know all of these up storage
and bandwidth requirements.

Thanks,

Sam