[sword-devel] remove

Gary Amirault sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 13:22:27 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0002_01C2534C.F2F41EA0

how do I remove myself from this list? Thanks, Gary
  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-sword-devel@crosswire.org
[mailto:owner-sword-devel@crosswire.org]On Behalf Of Todd Pedlar
  Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 7:07 AM
  To: sword-devel@crosswire.org
  Cc: sword-devel@crosswire.org
  Subject: Re: [sword-devel] Doctrinal Statement

  At 03:39 AM 9/3/2002, Christian Renz wrote:

    Okay, this is enough. Discussing borderline off-topic doctrinal issues
    is one thing, but personal attacks do not belong on this list. Indeed,
    not even in our communication repertoire as christians, be it
    o(ff|n)li(st|ne). Period.

    I have two suggestions:

    1. We let this thread die a very sudden and quick death.

    2. If people feel there is a need for a doctrinal statement, let's
      first discuss what the exact purpose of such a statement should be,
      without going into doctrinal details. Once a consensus about that
      is reached, it will be much easier to think about the content.

    Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but I think there's better things to
    do than discuss who is a real christian and who not. The sword is
    God's tool to circumcise our heart, not ours to fight "infidel
    brethren".

  It seems quite clear to me that there is far too much
  division among those working on this project to even begin
  to think of any kind of doctrinal statement.  We have Christians,
  non Christians, people who argue that to insist upon Christ's divinity
  is "fundamentalist" and "narrow", etc.  To agree on anything of
  any substance to be said in a doctrinal statement for this project
  would be too much, in my opinion, to hope for.  Seems quite clear
  that the best course is to just let the idea drop.

  Todd

  Todd K. Pedlar Postdoc for Ohio State University, Dept of Physics
  todd@lns.cornell.edu Homepage: http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~todd
  Phone: (607) 255-5748 (607) 255-4882 Fax: (607) 255-8062
  "Give me a bowl of coffee or I will surely turn into a goat!"
  J.S. Bach

------=_NextPart_000_0002_01C2534C.F2F41EA0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4919.2200" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D890221518-03092002><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>how do=20
I remove myself from this list? Thanks, Gary</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
  size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B>=20
  owner-sword-devel@crosswire.org =
[mailto:owner-sword-devel@crosswire.org]<B>On=20
  Behalf Of </B>Todd Pedlar<BR><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, September 03, 2002 =
7:07=20
  AM<BR><B>To:</B> sword-devel@crosswire.org<BR><B>Cc:</B>=20
  sword-devel@crosswire.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: [sword-devel] =
Doctrinal=20
  Statement<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>At 03:39 AM 9/3/2002, Christian Renz =
wrote:<BR>
  <BLOCKQUOTE class=3Dcite cite type=3D"cite">Okay, this is enough. =
Discussing=20
    borderline off-topic doctrinal issues<BR>is one thing, but personal =
attacks=20
    do not belong on this list. Indeed,<BR>not even in our communication =

    repertoire as christians, be it<BR>o(ff|n)li(st|ne). =
Period.<BR><BR>I have=20
    two suggestions:<BR><BR>1. We let this thread die a very sudden and =
quick=20
    death.<BR><BR>2. If people feel there is a need for a doctrinal =
statement,=20
    let's<BR>&nbsp; first discuss what the exact purpose of such a =
statement=20
    should be,<BR>&nbsp; without going into doctrinal details. Once a =
consensus=20
    about that<BR>&nbsp; is reached, it will be much easier to think =
about the=20
    content.<BR><BR>Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but I think =
there's better=20
    things to<BR>do than discuss who is a real christian and who not. =
The sword=20
    is<BR>God's tool to circumcise our heart, not ours to fight=20
    "infidel<BR>brethren". <BR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>It seems quite clear to =
me that=20
  there is far too much <BR>division among those working on this project =
to even=20
  begin<BR>to think of any kind of doctrinal statement.&nbsp; We have=20
  Christians,<BR>non Christians, people who argue that to insist upon =
Christ's=20
  divinity<BR>is "fundamentalist" and "narrow", etc.&nbsp; To agree on =
anything=20
  of<BR>any substance to be said in a doctrinal statement for this =
project=20
  <BR>would be too much, in my opinion, to hope for.&nbsp; Seems quite=20
  clear<BR>that the best course is to just let the idea drop.=20
  <BR><BR>Todd<BR><BR><X-SIGSEP>
  =
<P></X-SIGSEP>-----------------------------------------------------------=
-------<BR>Todd=20
  K. Pedlar Postdoc for Ohio State University, Dept of Physics <BR><FONT =

  color=3D#0000ff><U>todd@lns.cornell.edu</U></FONT> Homepage: <A=20
  href=3D"http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~todd" eudora=3D"autourl"><FONT=20
  =
color=3D#0000ff><U>http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~todd</A><BR></U></FONT>---=
=20
  (607) 255-5748 (607) 255-4882 Fax: (607)=20
  =
-----<BR>"Give=20
  me a bowl of coffee or I will surely turn into a goat!" <BR>J.S. Bach=20
  =