[sword-devel] Doctrinal Statement

Todd Pedlar sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 08:06:41 -0400

--=====================_946825523==.ALT

At 03:39 AM 9/3/2002, Christian Renz wrote:
>Okay, this is enough. Discussing borderline off-topic doctrinal issues
>is one thing, but personal attacks do not belong on this list. Indeed,
>not even in our communication repertoire as christians, be it
>o(ff|n)li(st|ne). Period.
>
>I have two suggestions:
>
>1. We let this thread die a very sudden and quick death.
>
>2. If people feel there is a need for a doctrinal statement, let's
>   first discuss what the exact purpose of such a statement should be,
>   without going into doctrinal details. Once a consensus about that
>   is reached, it will be much easier to think about the content.
>
>Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but I think there's better things to
>do than discuss who is a real christian and who not. The sword is
>God's tool to circumcise our heart, not ours to fight "infidel
>brethren".

It seems quite clear to me that there is far too much
division among those working on this project to even begin
to think of any kind of doctrinal statement.  We have Christians,
non Christians, people who argue that to insist upon Christ's divinity
is "fundamentalist" and "narrow", etc.  To agree on anything of
any substance to be said in a doctrinal statement for this project
would be too much, in my opinion, to hope for.  Seems quite clear
that the best course is to just let the idea drop.

Todd

Todd K. Pedlar Postdoc for Ohio State University, Dept of Physics
todd@lns.cornell.edu Homepage: http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~todd
Phone: (607) 255-5748 (607) 255-4882 Fax: (607) 255-8062
"Give me a bowl of coffee or I will surely turn into a goat!"
J.S. Bach

--=====================_946825523==.ALT

At 03:39 AM 9/3/2002, Christian Renz wrote:<br>
borderline off-topic doctrinal issues<br>
is one thing, but personal attacks do not belong on this list.
Indeed,<br>
not even in our communication repertoire as christians, be it<br>
o(ff|n)li(st|ne). Period.<br><br>
I have two suggestions:<br><br>
1. We let this thread die a very sudden and quick death.<br><br>
2. If people feel there is a need for a doctrinal statement, let's<br>
&nbsp; first discuss what the exact purpose of such a statement should
be,<br>
&nbsp; without going into doctrinal details. Once a consensus about
that<br>
&nbsp; is reached, it will be much easier to think about the
content.<br><br>
Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but I think there's better things
to<br>
do than discuss who is a real christian and who not. The sword is<br>
God's tool to circumcise our heart, not ours to fight &quot;infidel<br>
brethren&quot;. <br>
It seems quite clear to me that there is far too much <br>
division among those working on this project to even begin<br>
to think of any kind of doctrinal statement.&nbsp; We have
Christians,<br>
non Christians, people who argue that to insist upon Christ's
divinity<br>
is &quot;fundamentalist&quot; and &quot;narrow&quot;, etc.&nbsp; To agree
on anything of<br>
any substance to be said in a doctrinal statement for this project <br>
would be too much, in my opinion, to hope for.&nbsp; Seems quite
clear<br>
that the best course is to just let the idea drop. <br><br>
Todd<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Todd K. Pedlar Postdoc for Ohio State University, Dept of Physics <br>
Phone: (607) 255-5748 (607) 255-4882 Fax: (607) 255-8062<br>
&quot;Give me a bowl of coffee or I will surely turn into a goat!&quot;
J.S. Bach <br>