[sword-devel] sword namespace

David White sword-devel@crosswire.org
01 Oct 2002 20:48:36 +1000

I'd just like to point out a few things on this:

- Firstly, I think it's a really good idea, and I think I suggested it a
while ago :)
- Some older or less conforming compilers might not know about or like
namespaces
- You also might like to consider creating sub-namespaces, for instance
anything that is a utility, and is useful, but has no specific relation
to Bible software, could go in a namespace util, or utility. (say for
instance, string manipulation functions)
- Anything that is an implementation detail could go in a namespace
clearly marking it as such. For instance, I believe that Boost puts such
things in a namespace 'detail'
- Any symbols that are to be local to a translation unit should be
placed in an anonymous namespace
- It is recommended that library users only place "using" statements in
source files, not header files, and only after all #include statements.

I also recommend the following article for people interested in
namespace migration issues: http://www.gotw.ca/gotw/053.htm

Blessings,

-David.