[sword-devel] Support Issues: Font and Verse Lookup Problems

Martin Gruner sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 18 May 2002 08:54:35 +0200

> There are two problems with using sourceforge as a solution.  First is
> that our users will not use it.

Hm. Are you a prophet? ;) Our users do.

> It is too complicated and too much more
> work than sending an email.  Not to mention, they will never figure out
> the difference between the sword and biblecs projects since the vast
> majority of our users are Windows users and don't even know what linux is
> or have a concept of APIs and libraries.

This is a point. But you got to admit as well that the website does not make
that clear a distinction as well, at least until now. You could have some bug
report dialog in BibleCS which directs users to the respective sites. And
BibleCS would need (imo) an own website to let it gain more attention and
make people more aware of the need for help.

> Second is that using _I_ don't like to use sourceforge because it is too
> complicated and too much extra work.

Well that is your unquestionble position. But -- what is better: a little
extra work that you got to get used to, or missing the most of the bug
reports and not giving the users a proper feedback?
I can only say that it works very well for the BibleTime project.

> I know Troy doesn't care for it
> either.  I don't know about David's feelings towards sourceforge, but I'll
> presume from his asking where the lists were that he hasn't yet had time
> to formulate a negative opinion.  I'll give him time.

How kind!
Well my point is not to advertise sourceforge, as you may think. I only see
that it is a tool which works well for the benefit of development and users!
If you can offer something similar (with a reasonable amount of
administration) on crosswire, then do this! Though there should be a more
clear distinction of the api and BibleCS imo.

David: what do you think? I am willing to help you with the administration of
the sf stuff a bit if you feel this would be the way to go.

Martin