[sword-devel] Support Issues: Font and Verse Lookup Problems

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 17 May 2002 14:10:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Martin Gruner wrote:

> Might I make another proposal? We should not have the users email somewhere,
> resulting in the mails being forgotten or unanswered. Providing assistance is
> one way to show care for the (reasonable) support and bug items people sent
> in, probably (in some cases) after investing some serious thoughts in it.
>
> Personally I must say that the sourceforge tracking system for bugs, support
> and feature items does a very good job with BibleTime. You don't forget
> anything, and every user gets notified of what is happening with the enquiry
> he submitted. Flames can be mass-deleted if necessary.
>
> So I'd suggest to start using these trackers for the sword api
> (http://sf.net/projects/sword) and the Windows Frontend
> (http://sf.net/projects/biblecs - separate), rather than sending the mails to
> /dev/null. People can even look if somebody already submitted a similar item
> there.

There are two problems with using sourceforge as a solution.  First is
that our users will not use it.  It is too complicated and too much more
work than sending an email.  Not to mention, they will never figure out
the difference between the sword and biblecs projects since the vast
majority of our users are Windows users and don't even know what linux is
or have a concept of APIs and libraries.

Second is that using _I_ don't like to use sourceforge because it is too
complicated and too much extra work.  I know Troy doesn't care for it
either.  I don't know about David's feelings towards sourceforge, but I'll
presume from his asking where the lists were that he hasn't yet had time
to formulate a negative opinion.  I'll give him time.

The truth is, if we want to do PR, we need people doing PR full time.  If
we want to use sourceforge, we're going to need people to do project
management full time.  I would be overjoyed to see someone actually step
up to do those jobs, but I don't see anyone volunteering.

--Chris