[sword-devel] Copyrights and cash

Barry Drake sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:39:16 +0100

Hi there .......

On 21 Jun 2002 at 8:29, Don A. Elbourne Jr. wrote:
> As for module creation, are the tools you are referring to addvs and addld?
> I read the documentation and while I do not mind working with command line
> utilities I am still a little apprehensive to dive into trying to create a
> module. I think Joe Christian wouldn't even think to try.

I'm not a particularly able programmer - the first module I made up, I did
most of the work in a word processor using search and replace and ended up
with a vpl file that could use vpl2mod to make up the module.  I do know a
bit of C and these days can program my own special command line utility
which uses the add and link routines from Addvs to complete the process.
However it is NOT difficult for non programmers to produce an adequate vpl
file simply using a word-processor.  Maybe we ought to write a simple
instruction for such a person to allow easy production along those lines?

There are some pitfalls: the vpl file needs to have the KJV versification
precisely met.  That again ought not to be too difficult to arrange.  for
most standard versions.  And soon (hopefully) Sword will be able to support
a more flexible versification.

Chris has made all the tools in the Utilities directory available as
Windows binaries, and I would have thought it would not be too difficult
for the non-programmer to get them up and running.

God bless,
Barry

>From Barry Drake (The Revd - minister of the Arnold and the Netherfield
United